Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On Demand Writing Samples 3 months later (December 08)

These writing samples are a result of an on demand writing assessment that I gave my students during the first week of December during the 2008-2009 school year. This on demand assessment was given after 3 months of individualized and whole group writing instruction and conferences. On demand simple means that students weren’t given any prompts or support during this activity. It is a way to determine my student's current abilities in writing. The description is written in their "own words."

"I am not sharing my cake"

"I was going to my moms friends house"

" When we went to the park from the school"

"When I fell down and broke my wrist and had to go to the hospital"

"Me at my grandmas house"

"I went camping"
Children at this phase are still developing an understanding of the writing process. They are learning to love writing process and gaining more writing independence and confidence. A child at this stage may attempt to produce letter strings or make other attempts at writing words. They may begin to represents characters in their drawings and may read the first page as if it contains one sentence. A child at this stage may be developing an understanding that letters carry meaning and that writing is different than drawing. They are also developing a sense that written text convey meaning and are beginning to draw and write to capture the topic or content they have decided on.







No comments: